Now is the perfect time of year to get that ride-on mower or tractor you’ve always wanted. Here are some things to keep in mind if you are shopping for a new one.
How to Buy the Right Ride-On Mower or Lawn Tractor for You
1. Buying the right Ride-On Lawnmower for your garden. Make sure that the mower you purchase is able to drive around trees, bushes or swings in your garden. Also take things like ponds, hills and fences into account. Ride on mowers typically have front wheel drive, rear wheel drive or zero-turn mower handling.
2. Do you have the need for speed? If you have a garden with lots of obsticles, you may need to slow down to achieve the desired cut. If your garden is large and mostly clear, you may want to speed up to get the job done quickly. A multi-speed system gives you the best of both worlds.
3. It’s all in the engine. Engine power is important in buying a new ride on mower, but it’s not the only thing that should be taken into account. Make sure the ride on lawnmower engine has a quality cooling system and an oil filtering system to extend the life of your engine.
4. Cutting path. Ride–On mowers or lawn tractors are available in a variety of widths – the size of the mower deck is the width that a mower will cut in a single pass. As a reference, here is a guide for what jobs need which cutting path
a) 30-40 inch mowing deck for gardens up to 1 ½ acres
b) 40-48 inch mowing deck for gardens 1 ½ to 3 acres
c) 48-61 inch mowing deck for gardens 3 acres or larger
5. Consider the maintenance schedule. While regular tune-ups and lawn mower maintenance are critical to your new mower’s health, consider factors that may also help protect your engine and reduce the need for repairs. For instance, dirt and debris can damage an engine. Make sure you thoroughly clean the engine surrounds after each use.
If you are looking to purchase a new ride-on tractor or lawnmower then contact us or click here for more information. If you have not already had your ride-on lawnmower or lawn tractor serviced ready for Spring then please give us a call on 01403 700743 to see how we can help.